Blatant Self-Promotion Post!

Necromancer is steaming along beautifully in both sales and free reads (did you know that you can borrow and read everything in the Spellmonger Series as a member of Kindle Unlimited?) and I'm terribly excited about next month's proposed (which means it ain't set in stone) release of Knights Magi on audiobook.  The audiobook response has been particularly gratifying, and I will be spending much of the next year on the Great Rectification that brings each audiobook to life. 

That's partially because such work needs my attention, which I can't spare while I'm composing in the same universe, and that's partially because I need to take a breath and spend a year plotting out the next ten books in the series.  I know where I want to end that arc, it's a matter of selecting which books/characters will get me there.  I also want to fill in the cracks in the first ten books, releasing promised stories and some bits on favorite characters who deserve some attention.  Looking at Olmeg, Sire Cei, Zagor, Gareth, Banamor, Reiel, Iyugi, and other wizards in the Greater Sevendor Metropolitan Area.  That's in addition to the stories about Tyndal, Rondal and the Kasari getting rescued by Ruderal, the Ugliest Maid in Castal, the Bathhouse of Sevendor, and other tidbits I have lingering, half-finished, in the murky depths of my hard drive.

Plus, I can get back to and finally finish Trask's Odyssey.  It appeared that it was going to be the next book, but then momentum and excitement got in the way.  At a certain point it became clear I couldn't continue giving equal time to both, and one, unfortunately, had to yield.  I'm pushing to have it done by Christmas.  If my wife lets me.

But first . . . I'm  preparing the edits to correct Necromancer.  I'll announce when the "final" version is out.  It will mostly be minor things to correct typos and such, and I'm still waiting on some of my edits to get back, but that's in the near future, for you spelling-and-continuity mavens.  Briga bless you.

Now, on to the "blatant self-promotion" portion of the post . . .

I am, currently, available for interviews and participation in some regional (think East Coast, but I'm open . . .) conventions in order to help promote The Spellmonger Series, the auidiobooks, Necromancer, etc.  If you know of a blogger, vlogger, or other fantasy-oriented venue who wants to sully their medium with my opinions in a craven attempt to garner viewership, y'all know my email address: tmancour at gmail dot com.  

I will also be holding a Book Release Party (experienced authors know not to schedule such things until after the book is released and is a hit -- I'll take #359 on Kindle Total Sales as a "hit") at Gallery 71 in Hillsborough, NC, in the near future to celebrate.  More deets as they emerge.

Some random notes:

1) Necromancer's cover was done by my 15 year old daughter, Morrigan Mancour, with surprisingly little direction or oversight from me.  It's an "indy" cover, and I'm totally cool with that.  It's her first cover, but not her first commercial sale nor am I her first commercial client.  But I'm more than willing to take advantage of her cheap labor.  Thankfully, under North Carolina's draconian Right to Work laws, I can force my children to work for a family enterprise, free of charge.  That said, I'm paying her proper journeyman's wages for her work.  Into her savings account.  Because my brilliant, artistically talented daughter is still a fifteen year old girl who pierces her ears without her parents' approval or consent (both of which were forthcoming).

2) I cannot express enough my appreciation to superfan Aaron Schwartz, who (likely to the detriment of his academic studies) gave me enough important insight on the first 20 chapters to know how to contend with the rest of the book.  There are a few of you Spellmongrels who go way above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to my work, and I am eternally thankful for your vigilance.  The contributions you make through your discussions and passionate opinions have an affect on the course of the series even if it isn't obvious.  I had a two-page email this morning discussing the exact weight and density of snowstone.  That sort of thing leads to plot points.

3) I am continuing to agitate for seeing the Spellmonger Series in other entertainment formats.  If you, too, would like to see either a live-action or animated format, consider contacting Amazon Pictures or other production studios.  'Cause I haven't even gotten to the exciting parts, yet.  Ditto comics.  I'm actively searching for a comic publisher who would like to licence Spellmonger.  Preferably indy.  There are more cloaks than capes, but I can bring a bit of an audience.

4) I'm very excited about the Atlas of the Five Duchies.  For one thing, it will be more than Atlas.  A lot of my notes on the development of the region will be revealed in the work, including at least one new story and several excerpts from ancient scrolls.  It will also cover the historical destruction of Perwyn, and trace the original colony back . . . some.  A lot was lost in the Inundation and the Conquest.

5) I'm also very excited to be developing Spellmonger in an RPG format, in response to both huge fan request and my own selfish desire to roll dice.  This is still in the formative stages, but I'd consider working with an indy RPG publisher on the project.  Tell your geeky, dice-rolling friends.

6) MERCHANDISE: It's coming.  During the four cons I attended this summer, the fans were very enthusiastic about the prototypes I was showing, and I got suggestions for more stuff.  With this book, I've gotten even more.  Including plushies of Lord Fuzzypaws.  I'm looking at several specialized items, from wizards' pipes to mageblades to posters to really cool t-shirts, so if you have suggestions, leave them below. 

7) Message from my wife: "Speaking on behalf of the chronically ill, Terry is the most productive chronically ill person I know.  He is dedicated to his fans and his writing.  He hits the pavement, meets his fans, and asks them what they want to read - to the extant that he has annoyed other, more introspective vendors.  Most writers don't do that.  He reads every review, every YouTube video review, and while he sometimes doesn't have time to respond, he absorbs the feedback.  It's beautiful to watch the process of how he engages his fans and the public at large, and include their voices to the final product.  So much so that I am resigned to do without a husband during the final stages of the process.   This busy year has convinced me what an impact he's made, and the opportunity to meet and speak with his fans at the Raleigh ComicCon revealed just how much they enjoy the work.  The fan art, and when I saw the video (below) it has really blown my mind how much they get into Spellmonger.

"Terry's family is willing to suffer -- a little -- to see this work published.  Then we want him back for awhile.  We get Christmas.  And we're looking forward to a much-needed family vacation.  So enjoy Necromancer thoroughly, because he's MINE now!  Until the next one . . ."

8) There is a website in the works, beyond this shallow blogging tool.   It will have far more functionality and be generally prettier.  I hear they're all the rage, now.  And don't forget to like me on Facebook, even though I avoid FB for anything but book promotion, these days.  That's frequently where new announcements get made. 

9) As I close in on my first thousand sales and my first half-million page reads, I want to sincerely thank all of my fans, casual and adamant, for their continued support.  Thanks to y'all, I'm running out of dream jobs.

Comments

  1. short tipp for promotion: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/

    ReplyDelete
  2. "chronically ill" don't worry if you pop your cloggs theirs lots of great authors to fill your space: Edward Robertson, Jonathan Renshaw, J sullivan, Melissa McPhail and the legendary GRRM to name a few

    (if it isn't blatantly obvious im being sarcastic, Its amazing/im grateful to the amount of work you get done in a year but family is more important)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Promotion. That short video I did for Necromancer is having pretty decent results on FB. 2 days' running 429 reached with 293 video views engagement to your blog link. Total of 304 video views. Interesting enough, 62% were women and 37% men. For those who don't know the video you can view it here. https://vimeo.com/236842240

    I'm also working on one for audio books. Love The Spellmonger Series.

    ps: Terry I can add in your daughters initials on the video for book cover artist. BUT she does need a logo . The Sevendor Snowflake???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a real epic video! Reminds me of some official book trailers I've seen, amazing work :)

      Delete
  4. Your work has earned this success. I hate waiting for more, but if that's what it takes to make it work for you, goi at that speed. We, your fans, will cope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. are there more audio books in the works? i enjoy those while i drive. Plus knight mage is one of my favorites of your books

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should contact Beamdog and see if they'll make a Baldur's Gate version of your books :P lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have thoroughly enjoyed your work and thank you for your dedication.
    P.S. the opposite of anode is cathode not diode

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ars Magica would be a good rule set for you Spellmonger Series, you'd need a setting book, but the rules as is in terms of spell creation and whatnot fit thematically I believe. I'll be honest, I've stolen character and place names for my d&d game, but you couldn't play a wizard the right way in dnd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might depend on who you're playing actually- I don't think it's gonna work as a dnd style party of 4, unless it's just a setting book.

      Dnd might work if you're playing a couple of imperial mages, a kasari, and a member of the 3rd commando, but why? I want to play a castle cracking, fire elemental summoning High Mage, and the Ars Magica rules work for that with some changes (violently amputating the setting)

      I think I'd want rules for running domains as well, it's such a part of the series that a rpg callidore would feel wrong without it

      Delete
  9. For the RPG format i'm completely sold i would love to play a warmagi during the initial invasion. Though a guide to the setting would be helpful for people who want to start playing already (i'm one of them) but i understand family easily comes first, have a good holiday you deserve it. Also i recommend once you have a system (or you could use gurps or fate accelerated if you want do it quickly) to promote the series and the universe i would find a Game Master and get a few people together and make a campaign that is semi regular so over time people will flock to it and then get them into the series. (it's how i got into D&D)


    Are you thinking of starting from scratch ?
    What dice are you thinking of using ? d20
    will there be classes or will it be free form of in
    terms of advancement (i would personally go for the latter since magi tend to have a lot of specializations and restricting them to a single class would suck because i think what ever system you do decide upon it will have the star war RPG curse of ever one wanting to be the jedi especially since you can cause a lot of hell on the battlefield. )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terry, All I can say is thank you for the dedication and the amazing books. I made sure to leave a review on Amazon for the book and I encourage anyone who hasn't yet to go do it. As of now there are more than 30 reviews and every one of them is 5 stars.

    Above all I sincerely thank you for setting expectations with fans. Letting us know that there will be a long gap ahead of time, while it sucks having to wait, is very nice of you to warn us.

    All that being said I am fascinated by your writing in itself. Tons of world building and action but you draw us into the characters better than any other writer I know. For instance when I first started the series I didn't care much for Rondal and Tyndal but once they had their first solo book together I have been fascinated by them and love seeing stories of their adventures. Even Penny's solo outing was a lot of fun and brought more depth to an already interesting character.

    If book 10 is any indication of what is to come for the next 20 books I eagerly await your future endeavors and wish you the best of luck. I will be here randomly haunting the site looking for book updates lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is Book 11 out yet? Just kidding!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read up to book eight of the series and while I have enjoyed them and will admit the typos and other disruptive mistakes are much better but there is still room for improvement. I am not an author or even a writer of any type but in college I was enlightened as to just how hard it is to proofread as my mind put in the correct words, spelling etc. Even other people who do it can miss them entirely, it is a never-ending struggle and it must be aggravating to you. I hope that your readers have written to you about them and I ask if there have been any corrections of the books that can be downloaded to replace the originals? Thank you so much for the entertainment you have provided and I look forward to the continued adventures. Daniel O. Connolly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amazon has a update function for any books you got that have been "patched" afterwards (you wont get ANY newer verions after you buyed them until you update manually (i had over 100 updates for books when i found this feature))

      Delete
    2. He is actually working on all of his books going through and correcting typos and continuity errors. He is currently working on the 4th and 5th books for that, I believe, so that podium publishing can make them into audiobooks.

      I've emailed him about errors that I've found before and he responded saying that he put it on his list to be corrected. I'm sure he would appreciate you pointing out any errors you find to him on email too. His email address is at the end of each of his books.. or the beginning... or both? I forgot. tmancour@gmail.com

      Delete
  13. Terry, Your storytelling and character building is fantastic! As another commenter mentioned you have a way of pulling the reader into the characters you write. Their solo adventures add so much dimension to the stories major events and adds to the great world building. Typos and minor continuity issues are better in the later books and if there is a way to "crowd source" edits for future releases of the books, currently or in the future, I'd be happy to submit the ones I find. I am part way through book 9 and am anticipating jumping into 10. Family first is a saying in my family and good words to live by IMO. Looking forward to all future books. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So i've been a die hard reader for the last couple of years (having been recommended the series from a pathfinder RPG group i'm part of.) I've read basically everything except for a couple of the spin offs from the entire series.

    Upon starting necromancer, there are several things just in the first chapter that have caused me a little confusion, such as the person who took over for Alya's care, and something about an interdiction from Minalan's father's bakery and that being worked out.

    I feel like i'm missing information, is this stuff covered in one of the side books? Or am I just forgetting some of the information from Enchanter or is from a later book?

    I have stopped reading necromancer until i figure it out, because I don't want to be utterly confused (even if I have to go back and read one of the other books)

    I realized though I havn't read hawk maiden and hawk lady..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the side stories cover a lot of stuff especially the latest one. The spellmongers wedding covers meeting the lady looking after Alya now and why they forgot about her. And the spellmongers yule covers meeting her again and getting her to look after Alya from then on.

      Delete
    2. Spellmongers honeymoon not wedding

      Delete
    3. the interdiction happened in Journeymage. Tavard had the Baron that controls Tarly (Mins hometown) shut down the bakery to stop the great march. Mins dad is an important lay person in the temple of Briga so he had them impose an interdiction which was basically sanctions. Mins dad, the temple and the Baron finally worked it out so the dad could return home.

      Delete
  15. Terry, just a thought...could you write a couple of short stories say something along how the rats discovered rudy, how allura became a refugee...the capture of rardine...? Nothing overwhelming. A chaper or 2 in length to brighten 2018. Maybe a short on bes and tal at rollo's. Maybe an anthology depicting glimpses of life on callidore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Only thing about Necromancer I didn't really like was Minalan being exiled.. Just seemed a bit too far fetched and unrealistic. Oh, Tavard being an idiot enough to attempt such a thing is certainly in character...

    But Rard and Grendine doing nothing at all to prevent him from doing such a thing..? Seems unlikely.. Those two have to know, if Tavard doesn't, that without Minalan the kingdom would fall apart and a move to cause Minalan to rebel against the kingdom is downright stupid.

    It also seems obvious to me that Minalan has no real intention of staying out of Sevendor.. Considering he can just pop in through the Ways at any time without Tavard even being aware of it. Hard to believe he would just comply with being exiled like that, though, considering he knows just how impotent Tavard actually is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Politics - It's a dirty game. I think Tavard got informed that the Sea Folk just dropped more gold in Sevendor than probably in ALL of Calidore. So he's going to try and pinch it. Rard knows Min holds the Kingdom together and reluctantly, Grendine does to. It's possible however unlikely, that Tavard , seeking to recoup the financial bungle and! strike a blow to Sevendor and is going to end up dead. Then is son becomes Duke and well that's 15 years before he could take that mantle, and then another 10 before becoming King. Provided Rard lives that long.

      Delete
    2. Tavard's son is dead. Him blaming Min for that is the whole pretense for why he exiled him. I doubt he knows how much money Min got from the Sea Folk, but even he can't be stupid enough to think that Min would leave it in Sevendor even if he was aware of it.

      Delete
    3. Moran said they talked him out of doing worse things. I read it as he found a loophole in the law that allowed him to banish Min and the king didn't have the legal power to stop him. Rard and Grenadine probably saw it as a compromise and there were some big holes allowing him to return on royal court business or magic order business. Seemed realistic taken as a whole. The only way they would know about the gold is a spy and they would be far sneakier trying to steal it imo.

      Delete
    4. hmm is right and IF they knew about Mins trade with the sea folk the first step would be to demand taxes for the sale (remember that Min is comitting tax fraud and they have any right to demand payment)

      Delete
    5. The thing is how could Rard and Grendine stop him. Its becoming more and more clear that there is a big rift in the royal house that is getting worse and more sour. So saay a Duke - and Crown Prince - takes an action they he is perfectly legally able to do. How can Rard and Grendine stop him without stepping outside the law. He has already copped a hiding with what heppened at the curia and the resulting loss of power. If they continue to openly punish him how long before the nobles lose all faith in his as crown prince and thereby endanger the continuity of the new kingdom.

      Delete
  17. There is a discussion about your novels at The Piazza's RPG forums:
    http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=18727

    I've let them know that you said you are looking into working on a tabletop RPG of Spellmonger.

    If you can afford her, you should look into hiring Anna Meyer to make a 3D model of your world for the Atlas of the Five Duchies. Her maps of Greyhawk and the Southlands are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've enjoyed listening to the Spellmonger series on Audible recordings, but now that I've finished Book 4, there are no more to download. Can you give us any hope more of your books will appear there for download? John Lee's narration is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Podium Publishing is working on book 5, now.. They are taking about 3 to 4 months per book to come out, but as far as I know they have plans to make audiobooks for all of them.

      Delete
  19. Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is coming out, sometime soon.

    It would be really interesting to see a Persistent World in that game based on the Spellmonger series

    ReplyDelete
  20. More audio books read by John Lee please

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please release the rest of the series on Audible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts